After a two week delay, we are nearing readiness for the 2017 Wilson Swamp Stomp
Thanks for registering for this Saturday’s 5K Mud/Obstacle Run. We want you to have a great and safe time while helping raise money for Hope Station, a great cause. Read through this email and it will make your experience better all around.
If you have a specific question, you can email me directly through Thursday. I will be “off the grid” getting the course ready on Friday so won’t be able to communicate back to you after Thursday.
Race Day Instructions
- Thank You for running and supporting a great cause in stomping out hunger and homelessness!
- Thank a volunteer; this event would not be possible without them.
- These notes are to help you and us have the most successful event possible. Have a great run!
- Day of:
- Arrive about 30 minutes before your wave time at Greenfield School (3351 NC Hwy 42, Wilson, NC). There is parking near the start/finish and other locations, both paved and gravel lots. Check in at registration by the soccer field area and we’ll have your packet with a shirt, race number, and pins.
- You may use the gallon Ziploc bag that has your shirt and number, once emptied, to put your keys or valuables in and it can be kept at registration
- Evening before:
- We’ve added pre race packet pickup from 5-8pm on Friday May 12th at Omega Sports in Wilson. They are located by Belk’s and Best Buy off Raleigh Road in Heritage Crossing shopping center. 3401 Raleigh Road.
Race Start Time:
- Your wave start time is the same as what you registered. It is posted at the bottom of this page, sorted by team and then last names for individuals. Come to the start line a few minutes before that time. The goal of this method is to reduce bottlenecking at obstacles.
- If you are a faster runner, be at the front, slower runners move to the back of your wave group. Everyone will get started within their 15 minute wave window using this method.
- If you are early and ready and there is a wave with few people in it, you are welcome to join it. Just walk over to the start line. In fact, that will help spread everyone out more. See below for emptier waves.
- No need to notify if you change waves since we will have volunteers confirming names and start times. Just jump in, come early, come later, whatever works for you. Just know that last wave is 9:45am
- Especially those at 9am – Consider 8:45 or 9:15 or even earlier or later. Spreading that group out will make it better for everyone.
- Number of Participants per Wave – as of May 9th
- 8:00am – 46
- 8:15am – 20
- 8:30am – 22
- 8:45am - 12
- 9:00am – 57
- 9:15am - 3
- 9:30am – 12
- 9:45am - 14
- Most today are competing for fun and the challenge, but there are prizes for the fastest.
- Almost every obstacle has room for two to do it at once, so like on the interstate, slower runners should stay to the right side. Also, helping others is not only ok, it is encouraged
- If you are competing for prizes, you must complete every obstacle as designed…it is on the honor system.
- If you are participating for fun, you may skip any obstacle you wish. No one will hassle you. This is a challenge by choice event.
- Orange/pink tape and directional signs will be used to guide you through the course. There will be turn arrows to assist as well. Unless you are skipping an obstacle, stay within the course marking
- Pin these to your front
- Each person needs a race number (even if you are on a team)
Water on Course:
- 5K: There will be water at the 1 mile mark and 2.25 mile mark and the finish
- If an obstacle breaks or we must close one for safety reasons, just move around and continue. Obstacle Monitors will direct you on what to do.
- With the excessive water, we may have to close the culvert tunnel and creek crossing. We will do our best to keep them in the race plan, but must put participant safety first and will redirect you.
- Top 3 in each category will win a unique prize with the event logo on it and your category and place. First place will also get an Omega Sports Gift card
- Categories are: 5K male and female individual, 5K male, coed and female teams
- Teams must complete the course all together
- We won’t know winners until all have finished and will mail the prizes and post results later on Saturday night or Sunday morning at www.wilsonswampstomp.com
- There will be a hose at the finish line to rinse off if you wish
- Restrooms with room to changer are located by the soccer field and signs will direct you.
- We will have EMS on site to respond to emergencies and our Obstacle Monitors and course guides are available to help or call for help if needed. If you need help, reach out to the nearest volunteer.
What to bring:
- Wear whatever will be comfortable to run in but you don’t mind getting dirty or wet or ruined potentially. Change of clothes is highly recommended, but up to you.
- Shoes can be donated at the end if you wish. There are places in the mud that you could lose a shoe. Ensure they are secured.
Lastly, this event is put on entirely by volunteers and our goal is to make it a safe, fun event to help Hope Station. Our vision is to make it be well organized and problem free event that will challenge you but have fun doing. Please remember, this is being organized by a small army of volunteers and if something goes wrong, please take it out on me, Michael Darr, the event director, and not on any of the volunteers. We welcome your constructive feedback after the race. We have incorporated several suggestions and lessons learned from last year’s event because of that.
Have a blast !
|First Name||Last Name||Gender||Race Group||Wave Time|
|Isaac||Campbell||M||Campbell Mud Puppies||9:00am|
|Kimberly||Campbell||F||Campbell Mud Puppies||9:00am|
|Jackson||Hardy||M||Campbell Mud Puppies||9:00am|
|Lee||Powell||M||Frank and Lee||8:30am|
|Frank||Thomas||M||Frank and Lee||8:30am|
|Lauren Forbes||Good||F||Good Times||8:30am|
|Bobby||Eason||M||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Satyanarayana||Kallepalli Raju||M||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Heather||Krebs||F||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Renee||Kriger||F||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Phillip||Rodriguez||M||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Gabriel||Ruotolo||M||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Sravani||sayyaparaju||F||Just Keep Swimming!||9:00am|
|Meg||James||F||Meg & Teri Team||9:30am|
|Kimmi||Hill||F||Morgan A Feeling||9:30am|
|Sean||Morgan||M||Morgan A Feeling||9:30am|
|Brie||Handgraaf||F||Muddy & Aiming to Misbehave||8:30am|
|Rachel||Webb||F||Muddy & Aiming to Misbehave||8:30am|
|Clark||Mangum||M||The Mangum Men||9:00am|
|Luke||Mangum||M||The Mangum Men||9:00am|
|Benjamin||McBride||M||The McBride Men||9:00am|
|Jarvis||McBride||M||The McBride Men||9:00am|
|Don||Edwards||M||Wilson Fire Dept||8:15am|
|Grant||Huffman||M||Wilson Fire Dept||8:15am|
|Wesit Op||Kaosombat||M||Wilson Fire Dept||8:15am|
|Jarrdon||Mckeel||M||Wilson Fire Dept||8:15am|
|Jason||Corprew||M||Wilson Police #1||8:15am|
|Steven||Garity||M||Wilson Police #1||8:15am|
|William||Hitchcock||M||Wilson Police #1||8:15am|
|Russell||Ward||M||Wilson Police #1||8:15am|
|Amanda||Escamilla||F||Wilson Police #2||8:15am|
|Shanita||Monroe||F||Wilson Police #2||8:15am|
|Brittany||Nestor||F||Wilson Police #2||8:15am|
|Andy||Page||M||Wilson Police #2||8:15am|